Monday, May 24, 2021

Plein Air Workshop

Who is this you ask?  It's me.  Still hanging around.  I'm usually on Instagram @imkarensb if you're curious.  I had a wonderful week attending a painting workshop and thought I'd share some photos here with you.  Let's see if I can remember how to post on here.  Things have changed a lot and I also don't remember how they work.  

The workshop was by Kim Casebeer in Manhattan, Kansas.  Kim is a well known oil painter and has multiple awards and professional associations.  Since the workshop was reasonably close to me, I decided to take the leap and join in.  

This area of Kansas is home to the Tallgrass prairie in the Flint Hills of northeastern Kansas.  We were able to enjoy beautiful vistas like this of the Konza Prairie which is owned by The Nature Conservancy. It is located within the largest remaining area of unplowed tall grass prairie in North America.    

We spent 3 days painting plein air (outside) in the wind, sun and rain showers.  For this rookie painter, that was a challenge.  

Kim demonstrates at our first location.  Her subject is a big, gorgeous tree that is sweeping over the trail.  This was one of the few days that the sun was out and the sky was beautiful.  

Packed up and ready to find my spot.
This is the spot I chose.  I loved how the trees arched over the creek.  Of course, I would choose a complicated scene.  Finished painting to be revealed at a later date.  

Scenes from the drive back to the hotel.
In the evening Ken and I went to the overlook and waited for the sun to set.  This photo was taken just an hour after the first one in this post.  I really will try to continue posting over the next week about this wonderful experience.  

Take care and try something new!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit. Please say hello while you are here. It would be so wonderful to meet you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails