Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Going Home


If anyone actually consistently reads my blog you know that recently I had to go home for some scary reasons. See why here. Home is Kansas City. Those who are familiar with KC know to ask whether I'm from the Kansas or Missouri side. If you're from there, that's an important question. Each region/county has it's pride. I recently found a nice article from Country Living about Kansas City. I haven't been to all their suggested locations, but personally recommend several of their suggestions and more.  The photo above is one of the famous fountains by the Country Club Plaza.  Our first date was on the Plaza 30 years ago on June 24th.  I know, it's crazy that I remember that.  My husband was not a big spender that night.  It didn't matter.  I was just taken with him.  He has since made up for that many times.

Many husbands (mine especially) would be interested in a baseball game at the beautiful Kaufman Stadium to watch the Kansas City Royals. Even if they don't usually win, it's a fun evening.  There could also be a fun day for the family at Worlds of Fun. Lawrence, KS is home to KU and is a fun college town with good restaurants, antiques and shops. Say hello to my DD1 and SIL for me.  


Country Living mentioned some wonderful shops and antique malls but failed to mention two of the best shops in the area, Curious Sofa and Mary Carol Garrity's stores, Nell Hill's, Garrity's and Nell Hill's at Briarcliff Village.

You absolutely cannot go to Kansas City without eating some BBQ.  There are many to choose from, but my favorite is Fiorella's Jack Stack.  The most interesting location is the downtown Freight House.  You can also order their yummy sauces and more online.  I recommend their cheesy corn bake and burnt ends.  Okay, this is making me hungry and it's only 9:00 a.m! 


I know there are many other fabulous places to visit in Kansas City.  These are a few to get you started.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you when "the Nell Hills" & Curious Sofa were failed a mention I was dumb founded.
    I made the pilgrimage to Atchison my last cross country trip but its soo worth it.
    KC is a great city so often overlooked by magazines. Its about time its getting the recognition it deserves. Elle Decor did one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit. Please say hello while you are here. It would be so wonderful to meet you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails