Monday, August 26, 2013

Ice Cream Bar

Last Friday night I volunteered to bring dessert to our annual Fantasy Football Sign-ups. It's pretty much all about the guys staring at their laptops as they pick players and the girls gabbing, catching up and playing with the babies. I decided to bring the makings for Ice Cream Sundaes. I found this wonderful article on unusual toppings for sundaes. You can find all their topping lists and recipes here. I made the Candied Coconut recipe that was listed. Just a warning that it makes a lot.  I need to figure out what else I can make with it. I couldn't wrap my head around Candied Bacon or Candied Roasted Squash, that wasn't happening. I was serving a bunch of men, they would've curled their noses up at the squash idea. 


I made hot chocolate sauce from Mark Bittman's book, How to Cook Everything.  I didn't have time to make it into hot fudge by adding corn syrup, which would've made it even better.  Here is an old link to the recipe when he was on the Today show in 2010.  This sauce actually hardens when it hits the cold ice cream leaving a very satisfying crunch. In case you're wondering, I had this for my dinner tonight.
Here are my toppings:

Hershey's Dark Chocolate Bar - chopped
Reese's Peanut Butter Bar - chopped
Oreo's - chopped
Candy coated sunflower seeds
Spanish Peanuts
Candied Coconut
Heath Bar Bits
Strawberry Syrup
Butterscotch Caramel Sauce - Mrs. Richardson's - hey, I didn't have time to make everything.
Mark Bittman's - Chocolate Sauce
Sprinkles
Maraschino Cherries
Reddi-wip - I know, not homemade

I think that was everything.  I only used Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Creams.  Everyone LOVED it. What is your favorite ice cream sundae topping? I'll add it to the list!

1 comment:

  1. I love just a drizzle of cherry or strawberry balsamic over vanilla ice cream. Or, you could put a little "plain" balsamic over fresh berries. OR (!) you could put cherry balsamic over chocolate chip ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit. Please say hello while you are here. It would be so wonderful to meet you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails